After several days of delay, the Judicial and Bar Council or JBC today, finally released the names of Chief Justice hopefuls who made it to their shortlist. The shortlist is composed of 8 names, 5 are current Associate Justices of the Supreme Court and 3 were outsiders.
The 8 shortlisted nominees were:
1. Associate Justice Antonio T. Carpio (Acting Chief Justice)
2. Associate Justice Roberto A. Abad
3. Associate Justice Arturo D. Brion
4. Solicitor General Francis H. Jardeleza
5. Associate Justice Maria Lourdes P.A. Sereno
6. Former Congressman Ronaldo J. Zamora
7. Associate Justice Teresita J. Leonardo-De Castro
8. Former Ateneo Law Dean Cesar J. Villanueva
Among the 8 shortlisted nominees, current Acting-Chief Justice Antonio Carpio got the most votes from the JBC. He topped the list with 7 votes, followed by another SC Associate Justices Roberto Abad, Arturo Brion and Maria Lourdes Sereno, Sol-Gen Jardeleza and Ronaldo Zamora with 6 votes. The bottom 2 with 5 votes were SC Associate Justice Teresita Leonardo-De Castro and Dean Cesar Villanueva.
Meanwhile, the JBC has disqualified DOJ Secreatary Leila de Lima from the shortlist because of her pending disbarment case under IBP.
The shortlist is expected to be presented to President Aquino also today. And under Article 8 Section 4 (1) of the constitution, the President has 90 days to appoint the new Chief Justice from the time of vacancy.