MMFF organizing committee is now accepting entries for this year’s “New Wave” competition for the 2014 Metro Manila Film Festival.
Indie film makers may now go to the MMDA office in Makati City to submit their entries for the following categories: Full Length, Student Short Films, Animation and Cinephone.
The MMFF’s New Wave competition was launched in 2010 due to the emergence of “Indie films” which serve as a platform for aspiring film makers to showcase their talents. In a statement by MMDA Chairman and head of the MMFF organizing committee Francis Tolentino, he said “This year, as we celebrate our 40th year, MMFF will continue the tradition of supporting independent films through a bigger, better, and bolder New Wave Section.”
Requirements for the New Wave categories are:
1. Full Length – Entries must have a minimum total running time of 75 minutes and must have been completed from 2013 onwards. Deadline for submission of entries is on September 17, 2014.
2. Student Shorts – Open to student filmmakers from local colleges and universities. Entries must have a maximum 20 minutes running time and must have been filmed within 2014. Deadline for submission is until October 4, 2014.
3. Animation – Entries must have a maximum total running time of 12 minutes and completed from 2013 onwards. Deadline for submission of entries is on September 17, 2014.
4. Cinephone – A nationwide cellphone movie-making contest for high school and college students. This year’s theme is Pagbangon Pagkatapos ng Kalamidad (Disaster Recovery/Rehabilitation). Deadline for submission of entries is October 4, 2014, wherein 60 videos will be selected as finalists.
Winners of the New Wave competition will receive:
1. Full Lenght
Best Picture – Php300,000
Special Jury Prize – Php200,000
2. Student Short Film
Best Picture – Php50,000
Special Jury Prize – Php25,000
Best Picture – Php100,000
4. Cinephone – 6 winners will receive Php25,000 each plus paid internships from Viva Films, Scenema Concept, and Quantum Films.