Star Cinema’s Vince & Kath & James is the overall top grossing film of the 2016 Metro Manila Film Festival.
In an Instagram post released by Star Cinema, the movie which starred Julia Barreto, Joshua Garcia and Ronnie Alonte is said to have earned 105 million pesos nationwide from December 25, 2016 – January 3, 2017.
Star Cinema has been consistent top grosser in the past MMFF’s courtesy of Vice Ganda films.Last year’s entry Beauty and the Bestie starring Vice Ganda and Coco Martin earned 526 million pesos and the honor to be the Top Grossing Filipino Film of All Time.
This year, Star Cinema has fielded the teen romantic film, Vince & Kath & James. Directed by Theodore Boborol, “Vince & Kath & James” is the movie adaptation of the viral social media series Vince and Kath. The movie focuses on the three leading characters and how their love triangle develops and evolves through text and social media.
Meanwhile, internationally acclaimed “Die Beautiful” starring Paolo Ballesteros came in second with P98 million, also according to Star Cinema. Following the top 2 is “Seklusyon” which earned P82 million on third and completing the top 4 is “Ang Babae sa Septic Tank 2” which earned P45 million.
Here the complete ranking of 2016 MMFF Box Office result.
1. Vince & Kath & James (Star Cinema) – 105 million
2. Die Beautiful (Regal Films, Octobertrain) – 98 million
3. Seklusyon (Reality Entertainment) – 82 million
4. Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank 2 (Quantum Films) – 45 million
5. Saving Sally (Rocketsheep Studios) – 27 million
6. Sunday Beauty Queen (Tuko Film Productions) – 7.8 million
7. Kabisera (Silver Story Entertainment, Fire Starters Productions)- 4.3 million
8. Oro (Feliz Film Productions) – 4.2 million